Search Engine Optimization & Marketing Statistics
Proof of the Power of Search Engine Marketing to Grow Your Business Now
Below are some statistics that establish the power and profitability of this marketing method. These stats also confirm that this area is becoming, if it isn't already, a standard part of strategy for companies across all industries.
- 301 Million people used a search engine in December 2008 [Nielsen]
- Over 10 Billion Web Searches per month.
- 47.16% of searchers clicked on the top result from their search. Occupying the #1 spot brought you almost half the search traffic. This is higher than previous studies found.
- 91.63% clicked on a listing from the 1st page of results.
- The Interactive Adverising Bureau (IAB) and PricewaterhouseCoopers have released internet advertising data for the first six months of 2008. The six month period saw $11.5 billion in revenues, up 15.2% over the same period in 2007.
- Search revenues neared $5.1 billion, up 24% year-over-year. Display neared $3.8 billion, up 19%.
- Search Engines bring prospects that convert (ie buy) at twice the rate of other online marketing methods. (Search Engine Watch)
- Companies who used SEO on their site saw an average gain of 73% in traffic within months.(Search Engine Watch)
- Companies who did the optimization in-house made a traffic gain of up to 38% in that same time period.
- Companies who hired an SEO firm to do the job saw a gain in traffic of up to 110%. (Search Engine Watch)
- Search Engine use is now the 2nd most popular online activity, led only by email. Email is used by 91% of the Internet, while search engines are used by 90%.
- Search engines are used by 97% of web consumers to shop and/or buy.
- 75% of all online purchases originate from Search Engines as opposed to only 9% from banners (NPD Group)
- Search engine optimization was the top method cited by Web site marketers to drive traffic to their sites (66%), followed by email marketing (54%) (Direct Marketing Association study)
Get help now